Wednesday, February 1, 2012

What are some pretty Irish girl names + their pronunciations?

I've always loved Saoirse, pronounced SEER-shah. I just think it's absolutely beautiful. I met the most gorgeous little Irish girl with the name once, and I just fell in love with it. It's got such a pretty sound to it, and despite the complex spelling, I think it looks very appealing. It reminds me of something, but I can't quite think what.





Niamh is another I'm fond of, pronounce NEEV. It's short and spunky, and I love that. The spelling used to confuse me when I was younger, but I got over it. I like it a lot.|||I the Aoife (sp?)-- Pronounced ee-FAH is very pretty but maybe a bit too obscure for American usage.


There's also Sinead, pronounced shi-nayd, and Maeve (is that Irish? I think it is), pronounced how it's spelled.





Of course, my name is Erin and that's a pretty well-known Irish name, but not exactly what comes to mind when I think of pretty.|||Aoife (EE-fa)


Ailbhe (AL-va)


Aisling (ASH-ling)


Caitríona (Kat-REE-na)


Cara (Kara)


Ciara (Keera)


Laoise (Leesha)


Maeve (Mayv)


Róisín (RO-sheen)


Siobhán (Shivawn)


Síofra (SHEE-fra)


Síomha (SHEE-va)|||Saoirse (SEER-sha or SAYR-sha)


Siobhan (shi-VAWN)


Saorla (SAYR-lah or SEER-lah)


Caitriona (kuh-TREE-nuh)


Caitria (kah-TREE-uh)


Finola/Fionnuala (fih-NEW-lah)


Éirne (AYR-nyeh)


Neasa (NESS-uh)|||My favourites:





Saoirse (SEER sha)


Caoimhe (KWEE va - many will say KEE va but that is only in the North)


Aoibheann (EE van)


Maolisa (MAIL issa)


Grainne (GRAW nya)|||It's nor really a name but Realta (pronounced Ree-al-ta) means star ****************|||I think the name Maeve is beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment